Thursday, March 11, 2010

Little Eggs

A very busy week here at the garden, the most exciting news of all is our babies have stared to lay their first eggs. Check out the pic's I think the little dark brown ones are my favorite, they remind me of chocolate Easter candies. The big girls will be moving to a new home in Jockey Hollow. I will miss them but it's time for them to retire, not to mention I need my greenhouse.

It's time to start the seeds. This year I'm growing all heirloom varieties of vegetables. I found a wonderful company called Heirloom Seeds that sells the Victory Garden, a collection of 76 different vegetable seed. I've already got some of my flowers for the window boxes sprouting in the sun room. I make my own little paper pots out of old newspaper, they work great and can get planted directly into the ground so as not to disturb the roots. Today I'll start onions, chives, peppers, snap dragons, and lisianthus. There is nothing like the smell of potting soil in the winter, it means spring must be close.

On to the latest construction, the goat house is going to be coming late, so as a temporary measure we are building an 8 x 10 aluminum shed. The shed will become our honey house late this summer when the goats permanent home finally arrives. This is our first year to extract our very own wildflower honey.

Lastly the Soap Biz, I made, in my opinion, a really cool sample box that I brought to work for a quick critique. I ended up selling bars of French Lavender, Gardenia, & Grandpa's Lilac. I made a new batch of French Lavender tonight, the house still smells lovely.
I wish I could send scent through the internet, I know that sounds ridiculous, but the soaps are almost intoxicating and it's hard to put into words, you have to experience it. The fragrance just makes you stop and enjoy. I"m always catching family & friends down in the soap kitchen inhaling all the different bars. I think I even wash my hands more now trying all the different kinds. I added some shots of the sample box and wrapped soaps, let me know what you think. Everyone's buying them as Easter gifts, what a great idea, why didn't I think of that?At least now I know what to get my mother-in-law.

It's funny I feel like I searched my whole life for my nitch, what I really wanted, I would have never guessed that my true joy would come from this new road we are now traveling on as a family.

Waiting for spring here in the garden,
Tracee

No comments:

Post a Comment